|Distance:||27.1 miles (43.6 km)|
|Meets:||A488, B4380, A5, B4387, B4499, A490, B4385, B4368, A483|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4386 runs for over 40 km in a west-south-westerly direction from Shrewsbury to Montgomery and then beyond to Abermule on the A483 Chester to Swansea road. It follows both the alignment of 18th-century turnpikes and for a large part of its course (from SJ429105 north of Cruckton to the point at SJ280017 where the modern road turns south southward towards Aylesford Bridge) the ancient Roman road which connected Wroxeter (Virconium) to Forden Gaer.
Nearly 3 km of the B4386's end-to-end distance – between Montgomery and Caerhowel railway bridge (not far from the site of Montgomery station, 1862–1965) – are subsumed into the itinerary of the lengthy B4385 Llanfair Caereinion to Leintwardine road.
The original western end of the B4386 was in Montgomery. It was extended west, via the multiplex, to Abermule in 1935 and then took over the original line of the A483 in Abermule when that road was moved onto the bypass. This gave the road a spur, thus allowing it to reach the A483 in both directions.