|Distance:||7.9 miles (12.7 km)|
|Meets:||A458, B4381, A490, B4385|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4388 is a rural B-road in eastern Montgomeryshire. Its northern section could be described as an eastern bypass of Welshpool.
The road starts on the A458 at Buttington and heads south, hugging the edge of the valley of the River Severn. After meeting the B4381 it goes through Leighton before moving away from the river and climbing to Forden. Here it reaches a T-junction on the A490.
There is a short multiplex south along the A490 out of the village before the A-road has to TOTSO left and the B4388 continues ahead. This is, in fact, the original northern end of our road; it was extended north in 1935.
Continuing south, the B4388 runs parallel to Offa's Dyke before descending to cross the Camlad. As it climbs slowly out of the valley Montgomery Castle becomes visible on one of the hills ahead. The road enters the town of Montgomery before ending at the foot of the castle hill at a T-junction on the B4385.