|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||James Street, Pontardawe (SN720041)|
|To:||High Street, Pontardawe (SN721040)|
|Distance:||0.2 miles (0.3 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4474 was a very short route with two incarnations in the Swansea Valley town of Pontardawe.
The first – shown on Ordnance Survey maps dated 1941-53, although there is evidence that the road was already so numbered by circa 1930 – linked the A474, James Street, to the then A4067 (today B4603), High Street, via a short stretch of Alltacham Drive and then the whole of Church Street. In all, the route was just 225 metres (246 yards) long, running from SN719041 to SN721041.
Later – as indicated on OS maps dating from 1956 to 1982 – the route was shifted southwards to run instead along Dynevor Terrace, still connecting the A474 and A4067 but now following a route only 78 metres (85 yards) long. This latter route remained classified in 1991-2, but by then was considered to be a stub of the A474.
Today both routes are unclassified town roads and are in whole or in part one-way.