Lay-by on the B4500 between Tregeiriog and Pandy
The B4500 runs up the Ceiriog Valley from Chirk. It was originally unclassified but gained its number around 1930.
The road starts on the B5070 (former A5) in the town centre and heads west along Castle Road. After crossing a mini-roundabout providing access to the station we leave town and follow a wooded route along the side of the valley. The castle is on the hill to the right but it is not accessible from this direction. Presently the road opens out as it continues up the valley, sometimes alongside the river, sometimes a bit further away.
Presently we go through Pontfadog then bear left to cross the river and right to continue up the valley. There's another river crossing after about a mile and we enter Glyn Ceiriog. We follow New Road through town to reach a mini-roundabout. This marks the original end of the B4500 but now it continues further upstream. Alternatively traffic can turn left and follow the B4579 to Oswestry.
We leave town along Llanarmon Road, losing the central white line before we reach open country. Now further upstream the valley is narrower and the sides steeper than before, so there isn't that much space for the road to fit. We pass through a couple of small settlements, always remaining on the left bank of the river until a sharp left-hand bend takes us over the river and into Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog (sometimes signed as Llanarmon DC). The road ends a short distance further on in the village square, where all other roads are unclassified.