|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||24.3 miles (39.1 km)|
|Meets:||A4212, A5, B5105, A543, B5435, A543|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4501 is a rural B-road in North Wales. It was originally unclassified with the number first coming to the area around 1930.
The road starts on the A4212 (former B4391) at Fron-goch, a couple of miles upstream from Bala, and heads north along a wide, straight road to lull drivers into a false sense of security. As the road climbs it becomes more winding - and after going over a saddle and descending into the next valley a road junction is met, beyond which the road loses its centre line. It soon comes back, however, and we bear left out of the valley before descending to cross the Pont Moelfre over the Afon Ceirw and meet the A5 at a T-junction.
Originally the B4501 ended here but since 1935 there has been a short multiplex to the left. On reaching the Cerrigydrudion bypass the B4501 regains its number by turning right along the pre-bypass road to reach a T-junction by the church on the B5105. There's a short multiplex along that road - but along the alignment of our road - then we pass the school and leave town. We climb up into the hills and then go through a wood, descending to cross the culverted Afon Alwen; the old, narrow bridge is just to the right. Another steep climb takes us onto a moor and within sight of Llyn Brenig. We shortly meet a minor road leading to the visitor centre. This is the old route of the B4501 which was flooded when the reservoir was built in the 1970s so our present route goes through a wood to the west of the lake.
Presently we reach a road junction. When the new road around the reservoir was built a spur was also built allowing easier access to the A543. This mile-long spur of the B4501 continues ahead, still wooded, to end at a T-junction on the A-road to the east of the Sportsman's Arms, the highest pub in Wales. Meanwhile the mainline of the B4501 TOTSOs right to continue round the northern side of the reservoir back into open moorland to pick up the B4501's original line, now a minor road leading to a car park.
Now back on its old course the quality of the road deteriorates as it becomes S1 and descends steeply before continuing northeastwards along a switchback road for several miles. We give way on meeting the B5435 (which only heads west; the road east is unclassified) then skirt Foel Gasyth before descending steeply to Peniel, which consists of a few houses and a chapel. The road continues to descend and presently crosses the Afon Ystrad.
We pass, quite unexpectedly, the 1950s Museum and the road becomes S2 once more as it reaches the outskirts of Denbigh. We soon reach a one-way loop. Traffic in this direction has to TOTSO left and run above the allotments before ending on the A543 on the western side of town. Outbound traffic leaves the A-road in the town centre and follows the steep, narrow Love Lane to become two-way again by the castle lodge.