|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||14.5 miles (23.3 km)|
|Meets:||B4342, B4577, A485|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4576 is a cross-country B-road in north Cardiganshire.
The road starts at Hafod, in the valley of the Afon Aeron, by turning off the narrow B4342. It heads north, along an even narrower road, winding out of the valley, soon reaching Bwlch-llan. There's a TOTSO left at a T-junction in the village centre then we TOTSO right shortly afterwards. The view to the right is very good, as is the view to the left once the road has reached its summit.
We continue northwards across hilly terrain, although the gradients are not as severe as earlier. In the scattered settlement of Penwch there's a badly signed TOTSO left and we soon reach a T-junction on the B4577. There's a multiplex west for three-quarters of a mile and the B4576 regains its number by turning right on the nearside of Bethania.
Now slightly wider (if the OS map is to be believed) the road initially follows a flatter course, skirting the bottom of Mynydd Bach to the east. We go through Rhydfudr before starting to descend. In Llangwyryfon we run through the village centre and across the Afon Wyre before climbing steeply back out of the valley. More undulating terrain follows. Presently there's a sharp left-hand bend and the road becomes S2 for the first time. It descends into the valley of the Afon Ystwyth then narrows just before ending at a T-junction on the A485.
The B4576 was originally unclassified but gained its number in 1935.
A newspaper article published in 1930 said this about the history of the southern end of today's B4576:
- Until about the last quarter of the nineteenth century, the road from Hafod to the top of the parish was rough and stony, being almost impossible to travel in a sprung carriage, much less a motor car, but it is much better now. The Vicar Evan Evans (1845 - 1864) spent a great deal of money on the road from Hafod up to Bwlchllan. Before his time the road was barely formed and he did much towards making it fit to travel at all. The parish took it on after that. The coming of the stone-crusher and the steamroller has transformed the road so that it is easy and pleasurable to travel along it on wheels of every sort.
(Rev. Evan Edwardes in the Cambrian News, Aberystwyth, 1930)