|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||2.5 miles (4 km)|
|Meets:||B4591, A4042, M4, B4236|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4596 is a short link road running northeastward from Newport.
The road starts at the intersection of the B4591 Caerleon Road and Chepstow Road to the east of Newport city centre and heads northeastwards along Caerleon Road. It soon reaches junction 25 of the M4; to the left collector/distributor lanes run parallel to the motorway and join the A4042; these are marked on some maps as part of the B4596. We then continue eastwards to the B4236 at Caerleon Ultra Pontem. The last mile runs close to the left bank of the tidal River Usk.
In 1923, this route was part of the Newport to Worcester section of the original A48, then in 1935 it became the southern end of the much extended A449. When, in 1972, the A449 between Newport and Raglan was moved to a new dual-carriageway route starting at junction 24 of the M4, Caerleon Road was reclassified as the B4596.