|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||4.2 miles (6.8 km)|
|Meets:||A329, B4526, A4074|
|Route outline (key)|
The B471 is a relatively short B-road, mostly in south Oxfordshire.
The road starts at a mini-roundabout on the A329 in Pangbourne and heads north. It goes under the Great Western Main Line almost immediately and then crosses a toll bridge over the River Thames to enter Whitchurch-on-Thames.
After entering open country, albeit rather wooded, for the first time, the road winds to the north. It passes to the west of Whitchurch Hill and soon reaches Cray's Pond. The B4526 is crossed at a staggered crossroads and then continues on into Woodcote. The road runs through the centre of the village before reaching open fields once more and ending soon afterwards at a T-junction on the A4074.
The original route of the B471 was further east and therefore the road above was unclassified in 1922. This road came into existence in the mid-1920s, making it an early example of a recycled number, but originally only ran between the A42 (present A329) in Pangbourne and the B479 (present B4526) at Cray's Pond. The road was presumably extended north to meet the A4074 after that road was inaugurated in the 1960s.