B486 (Boxmoor - Leighton Buzzard)
|To:||Leighton Buzzard (SP921250)|
|Via:||Hemel Hempstead, Dagnall|
|Distance:||15.6 miles (25.1 km)|
|Met (1923):||A41, A414, B487, B489, A418, A4012|
|Now part of:||A4146, B440, A4012|
|Route outline (key)|
The B486 was a long B-road in the Home Counties.
It started on the A41 in Boxmoor, to the south of Hemel Hempstead and headed north through the town and beyond following the valley of the River Gade. It went through Dagnall, Northall and Billington before reaching Leighton Buzzard. It ended here in the Market Square where it met the A418 and A4012.
The section of the B486 through Hemel Hempstead was renumbered A4146 in 1935. Then in the 1970s that number was extended along the entire length of the B486, making the latter number redundant. Part of the road within the Leighton Buzzard bypass is now numbered A4012 with almost all of the rest having returned to Class II status, but now with the number B440.