B502 (Northern Ireland)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||2.3 miles (3.7 km)|
|Meets:||A501, B39, A52, A55|
|Route outline (key)|
The B502 is an urban B-road to the west of Belfast city centre.
The road starts at traffic lights on the A501 Divis Street under the twin spires of the Catholic Cathedral and then heads north along Northumberland Street through an industrial estate. The road then passes through the gates in a peace line before continuing north to cross the B39 at traffic lights. After running along the residential Agnes Street another traffic-light-controlled crossroads is met, with the A52 Crumlin Road. The road ahead is unclassified but this is not the end of the B502.
There is a very short multiplex west along the A52, then the B502 regains its number by taking the next turn right. It heads north along Oldpark Road, zigzagging through the suburbs with views of the hills to the left. The road continues ahead at a double mini-roundabout before running northwestwards to end at traffic lights on the A55.
The route of the B502 has changed significantly since classification in 1923. It originally started on the B503 Durham Street and headed west along Albert Street to cross the A501. The route is then unchanged as far as the A52 (formerly B500). Our road then continued straight across onto Cliftonpark Avenue and then Brookhill Avenue before turning right into Brookvale Avenue to end on the A6 Antrim Road.
Albert Street was obviously declassified when the road was severed by the construction of the A12 in the 1980s. It is not known, however, when the road was rerouted north of the A52. By 1946 maps were showing that the B502 north of the A52 was unclassified - but the extension along Oldpark Road came later.