B5264 (Devonshire Road, Blackpool)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Stanley Park (SD316363)|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Met (1923):||A583, B5266, A587|
|Now part of:||B5124, A587|
|Route outline (key)|
The original B5264 ran north-south along the southernmost section of Devonshire Road in Blackpool, approximately one mile inland. It was a short road between the A583 Whitegate Drive and the A587 Talbot Road.
Owing to the short length of the road it is not certain how long it lasted. However, the 1932 Ten-Mile Map seems to show that the A587, which originally entered Blackpool along Bispham Road, has been rerouted along Devonshire Road, thus taking over the ex-B5264; the ex-A587 is shown as an unnumbered Class II road. Given that later maps give this latter road the B5264 number it suggests that the B5264 and A587 were swapped in the 1920s.
This situation lasted until the A587 was returned to its original route as part of forming a Blackpool eastern bypass. The old A587 along Devonshire Road became the B5124, thus including the original route of the B5264.