|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||St Anne's Road (SD408078)|
|To:||High Lane (SD419082)|
|Distance:||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Meets:||A59, B5197, A570, A59|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5319 follows the original main road through the centre of Ormskirk. Interestingly, the A59 had always been planned to follow the bypass, even though this had not been completed on classification in 1922, so the road through town was numbered A5070. It seems that this was an interim number pending opening of the bypass, as it was renumbered B5319 in the mid-1920s. In more recent years the central section of the road has been downgraded and pedestrianised, leaving two unconnected sections either side of the ring road.
The road starts at a roundabout at the southern end of the A59 bypass, where it also meets a spur of the B5197. We head northeast along the residential Aughton Street, meeting the mainline of the B5197 at a mini-roundabout before following the straight road past Morrisons into the town centre. The A570 ring road is met at traffic lights.
Originally the B5319 continued ahead to cross the A570 by the clock tower and then continue on along Burscough Street. This is now pedestrianised, however, so we must multiplex along the ring road to return to the B5319. The ring road is partly one-way, meaning that in both directions we must turn left and head clockwise.
The B5319 regains its number by the library and heads north along the remainder of Burscough Street. After a roundabout serving a retail park this becomes Burscough Road and the road remains residential to its terminus at a T-junction back on the A59.