|From:||Llandudno Junction (SH806772)|
|Distance:||18.2 miles (29.3 km)|
|Meets:||A55, A470, A547, B5113, B5383, A548, A525|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5381 is a long B-road in North Wales.
The road starts at a roundabout where it meets the A470 and A547, which is part of the larger A55 J19 complex. We head south along what is clearly the worst-engineered road leading from the junction. With barely space for opposing vehicles to pass we climb out of the Conwy Valley and shortly go under a bridge carrying a private road. After a few more bends the road levels out. A small valley is soon reached which leads to a hill pass, before we continue across the top to cross the B5113 at a staggered crossroads. On the far side we go round the top of a couple of small valleys then the road widens sufficiently to gain its central line.
After a few more bends there is an excellent view of the sea on the left, which remains visible as the road descends and narrows again. After descending into a valley the B5383 bears off left, after which we cross the River Dulas then climb again to reach Betws-yn-Rhos, the first actual village on the route. The road now descends steeply into the village centre and goes round two sides of the churchyard before climbing again back into open country. After another hill and another valley the A548 is crossed. On the far side the road is S2. It passes a couple of caravan parks before skirting the northern side of Moelfre Isaf.
Continuing east the road passes Kinmel Park and Bodelwyddan Park, both on the left, before reaching the St Asaph Business Park. A road bears off left at a roundabout to pass through the park to reach the A55. Meanwhile we continue along Glascoed Road and soon enter St Asaph itself. The road descends into the city and follows a stream to a mini-roundabout. A spur continues ahead along Lower Denbigh Road to reach the A55 at a mini-roundabout just past the Co-op; the mainline of the B5381 turns right.
We head south, also along Lower Denbigh Road, and quickly reenter open country. After passing a caravan park the River Elwy is crossed, then we zigzag to lessen the climb out of the valley. The road now enters Trefnant and ends to the north of the village centre at a T-junction on the A525.
The whole of the above was originally unclassified. In around 1930 the section of road south of St Asaph (then running between the A55 and A525) was numbered as the B5383 but then the whole of this road and a lengthy unclassified section west was given the B5381 number in 1935, thus giving the road its present route.
The road has not remained unchanged since then, however. In the 1940s the former B5383 was renumbered as a rerouted A525 (with the A541 taking on that road's old route). The change was undone in the 1970s and so the B5381 got its original route back.