|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||6.6 miles (10.6 km)|
|Met (1934):||A5, B5378, A6, B6426, A5092, A414|
|Now part of:||B556|
|Route outline (key)|
The B555 was a medium-length B-road in Hertfordshire.
Starting on the A5 to the north of Radlett, it headed east and immediately crossed the Midland Railway's main line from London to Bedford. The A6 was crossed near London Colney before the road went through Colney Heath and approached Hatfield. It ended to the west of the town centre on the A414.
When the Barnet Bypass was opened in 1926 (as the A5092; today it forms part of the A1), it took over a short section of the B555 between Colney Heath and Hatfield, although the road's northern end did not move. On 1 April 1935 the B555 was redesignated as the B556 – probably to avoid confusion with Barnet Bypass which was given the new number A555 on the same date.
Further road construction in the area has since declassified the entire length of the ex-B555 east of the ex-A6 (now M25/A1081). The construction of the A1(M) Hatfield bypass has severed the road. In Hatfield New Town the route of the B555 can still be followed along College Lane and Roe Green Lane but it is no longer accessible to through traffic.