The original B579 ran from the A47 in the centre of Hinckley to east of Sapcote, where it met the then-A46.
Heading out of Hinckley along London Road the B579 soon crossed the railway line and then met the B578 in Burbage. The road then continued across the fields to - and through - Sapcote to end on the A46 (present B4114) Fosse Way.
The B579 lasted only a couple of years, as it was upgraded to become the A5070 by April 1926 at the latest. However, with the coming of the M69, the A5070 was downgraded to a B-road once more east of the motorway and the section west was also downgraded more recently. Apart from 400 m at its very western end, now unclassified, and a short section which is now followed by the B590 Hinckley ring road, the ex-B579 now holds the out-of-zone number B4669.