|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Church Warsop (SK568688)|
|To:||Warsop Vale (SK541676)|
|Distance:||1.9 miles (3.1 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B6031 is a short yet fairly important road serving what was once an important farming community. It connects the towns of Market Warsop, in Nottinghamshire, and Shirebrook, in Derbyshire, although it remains in the former county for its full length. The road was originally unclassified but gained its number around 1930.
Starting in Church Warsop, at a junction with the A60 next to the large and impressive parish church of St Peter and St Paul, the route first heads west, along Bishops Walk, with housing on the right and open countryside on the left. Shortly we bend to the left and the road (now Carter Lane) follows a near straight cross-country course west-by-southwest for the next 1.5 km to reach the small former mining village of Warsop Vale. On the way we pass an old quarrying area known as the Hills and Holes (today a Site of Special Scientific Interest).
Warsop Vale is composed of blocks of terraced housing, built in the early 1900s to house the families of miners employed at the Warsop Main Colliery situated just to the north. Once a tightly knit village (the full plans for which were never actually completed!), it fell upon hard times with the closure of the mine in 1989, although some parts have been regenerated more recently with new housing.
On leaving Warsop Vale, the road zigzags under a narrow railway bridge, signalled for alternate one-way traffic flow. Returning to open countryside, the B6031 continues for just over half a kilometre before terminating at a junction with the B6407 (which TOTSOs in the west-to-south direction here) just short of Shirebrook.