Heading south along the now-unclassified former B8061
The B8061 was a short road in the centre of Callander but an utterly bizarre use of a road number. Owing to its short length its history is not fully known. The road definitely existed from at least the 1950s to the 1970s but is now unclassified.
The road started at the crossroads where the A81 terminates on the A84 a little to the west of Callander's town square and headed north along Cross Street. For the entire time it was a classified road it appears to have been little better than a dead end.
The road is barely 100 m long, and appears to have served the backs of houses on the main street, a chapel and perhaps some ancillary buildings related to the railway goods yard, including the towns gasworks. The station, whilst originally on that site, had been moved to the west in 1870, at least 60 years before this road was numbered, and so cannot be considered the reason, despite many similar short B roads leading to stations across Scotland. Station Road, to the west, has always been unclassified.
Today the road is, quite rightly, unclassified, despite the former industrial area it once served now redeveloped with modern housing which probably means it now carries more traffic than it ever did as a B road! It is still marked on the 1976 OS Landranger sheet, but is shown as unclassified by 1981.