B810 (Great Western Road)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Via:||Great Western Road|
|Distance:||2.9 miles (4.7 km)|
|Met:||A81, B811, B768, A806, B813|
|Now part of:||A82|
|Route outline (key)|
In 1922, when the roads were first classified, the Great Western Road only reached out as far as Anniesland Cross; however, it seems that plans were already afoot to extend it and by c. 1927 it had reached Dumbarton. As a result, the B810, which followed this road, was a very short lived route, only existing in this period. It then became the A876, which took on the extension as well, but this didn't fare much better as the whole route gave way to the A82 in 1935.
The only real claim to fame that this route has is that it was the only classified road in 1922 that has become part of the A82; all of the other re-routings that survive to the present day were along new-build roads.
The original eastern end of the B810 has been severed by the M8. Although the dead-straight line of the road still exists, this is intermittent and can no longer be followed in its entirety.