B812 (Glasgow - Bardowie)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||4.2 miles (6.8 km)|
|Now part of:||A879|
|Route outline (key)|
The 1922 Road Lists state that the B812 ran from Glasgow to Bardowie. This is now the route of the A879, and the 1932 OS map shows the B812 following its modern route. However, we know that the original A876 was opened in 1927, suggesting that the B812 was upgraded to be the A879 around the same time.
The majority of the B812's route is the same as that now taken by the A879, out through Possil Park, across the Forth and Clyde Canal and on to the A807 at Bardowie. However, the start of the route is no longer followed by that road, with the B812 originally starting on the A81 at Garscube Cross. It then followed the now-unclassified Possil Road to the modern A879 at Hamilton Park. The A879 was probably re-routed onto its current route when the M8 was opened, so as to meet Junction 16.