B848 (Fort Augustus)
|From:||Canalside (south), Fort Augustus (NH376091)|
|To:||Glendoe Road, Fort Augustus (NH379090)|
|Length:||0.2 miles (0.3 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The number B848 – originally allocated to the Class II road from Laggan to Dalwhinnie which was quickly upgraded to become the A889 – had by 1932 been recycled and given to a very short link road in the settlement of Fort Augustus at the south-west end of Loch Ness.
This link, connecting (the site of) Fort Augustus railway station – Kilchuimen Academy stands there now – to the main A82 road through the village, runs eastwards along Station Road. Ironically enough, the major part of this short route's raison d'être was, however, very soon lost when the station was closed to passenger traffic on 1 December 1933 and movements on the whole line from Spean Bridge were confined from then until complete closure in 1947 to no more than one weekly coal train, together with some armaments traffic during World War II.
The number B848 has been omitted from most maps since the 1960s, but the Roads Authority for the area (Highland Council) still lists the route as extant.
An image has been requested for this article.