|To:||Haldane's Mill (NS398821)|
|Distance:||1.2 miles (1.9 km)|
|Met:||A82, A813, A811|
|Now part of:||unclassified|
|Route outline (key)|
The B854 was a short road linking the A82 and A811 at Balloch, at the southern end of Loch Lomond. The number should have been allocated in 1935-6 when the Lomond Bridge opened and the A813, its original number, should have been rerouted along the new road to the south. However, for whatever reason it seems that it was not until 1938 or 39 that the A813 was moved and the B854 number applied to the old route over Balloch Bridge. Although the previous use of the B854 number remained in use until 1939, this should not in itself have caused a delay as any spare number could have been used in Balloch. The B854 is still shown on maps into the mid-1970s but is now unclassified.
The road started on Old Luss Road, the original route of the A82, and headed east along Balloch Road through town. It crossed a level crossing just south of Balloch station (this has now been closed and the station resited to the south of Balloch Road, although the old station building still exists) and shortly afterwards went over the River Leven, the outflow of Loch Lomond.
Continuing east the road passed to the south of Balloch Castle grounds and then met Carrochan Road, which was at one time the northern end of the A813. The B854 continued along Drymen Road and ended a short distance further on on the A811, which continues on to Drymen.