|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Brochies Corner, Balchraggan (NH527440)|
|Distance:||9.3 miles (15 km)|
|Met (1932):||A831, A88|
|Now part of:||A833|
|Route outline (key)|
The original B854 was the hill road north from Milton, west of Drumnadrochit, to Balchraggan in Inverness-shire: the route which is now numbered A833. Apart from a few new bridges and some widening, the road appears to be little changed since 1922.
Surprisingly, the road appears not to have been reclassified as part of the 1935 renumberings, despite the previous use of the number A833 for another road ending in 1935 (when the main route between Muir of Ord and Cromarty became an extension of the A832).
Mapping suggests that it was perhaps as late as 1939 when the B854 became the A833, however. Bartholomew mapping from 1938 still labels the road B854, while both the 1939 and 1944 editions of the Ordnance Survey Ten Mile map – as well as indicating the Dunbartonshire B854 – show the Inverness-shire road with both numbers (B854 and A833)! The 1946 edition, however, clearly marks the route as A833.