B876 (Thurso - John o Groats)
|To:||John o' Groats (ND379727)|
|Distance:||14.1 miles (22.7 km)|
|Now part of:||A836|
|Route outline (key)|
The 1922 Road Lists list the original B876 as Castletown - Duncansby . Starting in Castletown on the A88 the road headed eastwards along the north coast (avoiding the detour to Dunnet Head) before ending in John o' Groats, where it met the B875.
The original B876 route is now part of an extended A836, having gained that number in 1935 when the A9 was extended north to John o' Groats, sparking a number of other renumberings in the area. It remains this number even though the A9 has moved since.