B897 (Stornoway - Rodel)
|Distance:||57.6 miles (92.7 km)|
|Met:||A858, B898, Pier|
|Now part of:||A859|
|Route outline (key)|
When the roads were initially numbered in 1922, there were only 3 A roads in the whole of the Western Isles, all in North Lewis. This meant that the long Lewis and Harris spine road was initially classified as the B897. Presumably it was considered that people were more likely to travel the length of the island by sea rather than by land.
Starting on the original route of the A858 west of Stornoway the road headed south across Lewis, passing to the west of Loch Seaforth to reach Harris. After going through Tarbert the road followed the north and west coast of South Harris to reach Leverburgh (shown in the map on the right as Obbe, its name prior to Lord Leverhulme's upgrade of the village in 1920) and end at the pier at Rodel.
However, this rather strange situation had already been rectified by around 1925 when the roads in the Western Isles were thoroughly revised, and a lot of additional numbers allocated. This saw the A859 number being reallocated to this route, and the B897 moved to its present route.