|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||4.7 miles (7.6 km)|
|Meets:||A96, B9089, B9040, Pier|
|Former Number(s):||B9089, B9012|
|Old route now:||B9040|
|Route outline (key)|
Route: Newton - Burghead
The B9013 serves the Moray coastal town of Burghead.
The road as we know it today leaves the A96 a couple of miles west of Elgin and heads north west in a series of straights towards Burghead. It is a rather uneventful journey, with only two sharpish bends, and two crossroads before the B9089 joins from the west at an acute angle.
Soon after, the B9040 heads off to the east on the original course of the B9013, and then we plunge into the compact little port of Burghead. Contrary to appearances, the B9013 does not follow the main street down the hill and up again to the green at the end of the headland, instead it forks off to the left along Granary Street to find the little harbour below.
This version of the B9013 had come into existence by 1932 but covered none of the above. The road originally followed the unnamed road skirting St Aethans between the B9089 St Aethans Road and the then-B9012 Fraser Road. In the late 1940s the B9013 was extended along its present route to the A96.
For many years it was the B9089 which ran towards Burghead, after which the B9012 took on the final section into town to end at the pier, as was common in Scottish coastal towns. However, the B9040 took over the coastal section of the B9012 at the end of the 20th century as well as the original section of the B9013; our road was recompensed by being extended west into Burghead itself.