|To:||Easter Dalmeny (NT152776)|
|Length:||2.5 miles (4 km)|
|Met (1961):||A904, B800, A90|
|Now part of:||A904|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9035 once provided a sort of bypass to South Queensferry. It was the first new Class II road in the 9-zone following the original 1922 classification, presumably dating to the early 1920s. However, the road was severed with the opening of the Forth Road Bridge and associated new A90 in 1964 and over half has been abandoned.
The western end still exists as the eastern end of the re-routed A904, although the triangle at the original junction was destroyed when the M90 Queensferry Junction was built in the 2010s as part of the Forth Replacement Crossing works.. The ex-B9035 headed east from here until just short of the A90 / B800 junction at Queensferry. The point where the modern A904 diverges from the old B9035 is marked by a bus shelter, with a rough track leading off into the bushes next to it. This abandoned spur is intact almost as far as the new A90.
The abandoned section beyond is not so lucky, with new development obliterating any trace. The route then briefly multiplexed southwards with the B800, before heading east once more opposite the entrance to Dundas Castle. Although the road was briefly visible, as field accesses for some years it has now been obliterated by an A90 offslip, also part of the Forth Replacement Crossing, with Scotstoun Junction beyond that.
Beyond this junction, the route reappears lined with bushes until we reach a path which is part of the NCN1 cycle route. This then follows the former B9035 to its terminus, improving from a rough tarred track to a quiet cul-de-sac just beyond a railway bridge (which provides a link to NCN76), and then becoming the main road through Dalmeny. There is a fine 12th-Century Parish Church in the village, and beyond that a quick wide run to the end of the route on the B924.