B9071 (Channerwick - Sumburgh)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||8.5 miles (13.7 km)|
|Now part of:||A970|
|Route outline (key)|
The original route of the B9071 ran along the southern end of Shetland Mainland.
In 1922 the road south from Lerwick was numbered A968. About two-thirds of the way to Sumburgh it passed Channerwick and then bent sharply left where the B9122 junction is now. The A-road ended here, with the road ahead becoming the B9071. Our road continued south, bypassing the settlements and presently reaching a road junction at Sumburgh. The B9071 ended here, with the roads ahead to Sumburgh and Grutness being unclassified.
The B9071 did not last long in this incarnation. In the 1920s it was abolished when the A968 was extended along its entire length to Sumburgh, freeing up the B9071 number for use elsewhere in Shetland. The entire route is now part of the A970, although the section immediately north of Sumburgh, including the road's southern end, is now lost under the airfield.