|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Uyeasound turn (HP588018)|
|To:||Uyeasound pier (HP592010)|
|Distance:||0.6 miles (1 km)|
|Old route now:||A968, B9087|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9084 is a very short road in the south of Unst.
The road starts on the moors on the A968 and heads south, crossing a cattle grid to reach the village of Uyeasound. We follow a winding course past scattered buildings and soon reach the village centre. The road ends by the harbour, with the island of Uyea straight ahead.
Back in 1922, the B9084 ran for about 11 miles, almost the full length of Unst. From Uyeasound it headed north through Baltasound and Haroldswick to terminate at Norwick as the most northerly classified road in the British Isles.
After World War II the A968 was inaugurated in north Shetland; this took over the majority of the B9084, leaving only the short distance into Uyeasound. The A968 actually ended in Haroldswick, as it still does, so the last few miles of the ex-B9084 north became the B9087.
An image has been requested for this article.