|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||1.9 miles (3.1 km)|
|Met:||A9, B9168, unclassified|
|Now part of:||A949|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9167 was a short link road in south Sutherland serving the Royal Burgh of Dornoch.
The road started on the A9 just north of that road's crossing of the River Evelix and headed east through Camore. It wasn't long before Dornoch itself was reached. The B9168 came in from the left on the near side of town, after which our road followed Castle Street into the town centre. After passing between the castle and cathedral the road reached The Square, where it ended. The other roads here were unclassified.
While this road is not much more than 2 miles long, it has carried three separate numbers since first being classified in 1922.
The road was originally numbered B867 as everything north of Inverness was in the 8 zone. This changed in 1935 when the A9 was extended north, so the in-zone B9167 number was allocated. The road gained its present number, A949, in the 1960s.