The B9168 is a short link road from Dornoch north to the A9. Originally classified as the B868 in 1922, it was renumbered, along with most of the other B86x roads, in 1935 when the A9 was extended northwards, pushing the road out of zone.
It is, however, an uneventful road, just 2 miles long and lightly trafficked, as many roads this far north are. Starting on the A9 at a fork junction facing north (anyone heading south from Dornoch would use the A949, the road heads south east between forestry and fields. It is a well aligned, wide and mostly straight S2 road with few properties facing directly onto it. A handful of junctions are passed, but mostly with dead ends or private driveways, including a realignment at the crossroads next to the cemetery where the old road is now used as parking. After a couple more bends, the road reaches the edge of Dornoch, and passes a small housing estate to terminate on the A949 on the edge of this former Cathedral City.