The B944 is a short link road through the centre of the Fife town of Buckhaven. The road was originally unclassified. Its short length means that it is not known for certain when the road first got its number, although it had definitely acquired it by 1951.
The road forms an L-shape through the town, linking the B931 to itself. At the eastern end it starts at a mini-roundabout on the B931 Wellesley Road and heads south along College Street, which starts off residential but soon becomes lined with a few shops and public buildings.
It's not long before we pass a small park on the left, after which the road bends 90 degrees to the right to follow the traffic-calmed Church Street (the church is on the corner) and becomes residential once more. The road then bends slightly to the right and descends – clearly a diversion from the road's original route. That this is Station Road provides a clue: there was originally a level crossing by the station here but the road was later diverted under the line. Now the line has been closed and the bridge removed but of course the road retains its course. We pass a park on the right before rejoining the old road immediately before the end of the B944 at a roundabout back on the B931, which keeps the name Station Road ahead.