This article is about the former B947 from Dunkeld to Coupar Angus, now the A984.
For the current B947 into Blairgowrie, see B947
(former B947) near Meikleour
The road from Dunkeld along Strathtay and Strathmore to the north of Coupar Angus was originally built by Major Caulfeild in the 1750s as part of the Military Road network. A hundred and seventy years later, in 1922, it became the B947, but within a decade the route was upgraded to be an A road, the A984. With the exception of the Caputh bypass, the A984 still follows the same route first given to the B947 in 1922. The B947 number was quickly reused on its present route in the same area.