B959 (Dundee Bypass)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Coupar Angus Road (NO372324)|
|To:||Arbroath Road (NO421314)|
|Via:||Clepington Road, Old Craigie Road|
|Distance:||3.6 miles (5.8 km)|
|Met:||A923, B960, A929, B961, A92|
|Now part of:||B960|
|Route outline (key)|
The B959 is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Dundee Bye-pass.
It started on the A923 Coupar Angus Road to the northwest of Dundee city centre. It then headed east along Dunsinane Avenue before zigzagging onto Clepington Road. It followed this road for some distance, crossing the B960 and A929 en route before reaching the B961 Pitkerro Road. This was crossed via a short multiplex before the B959 ran south along Old Craigie Road to end on the A92 Arbroath Road.
As the road is close to the centre of Dundee tracing its history is difficult. It seems, although it is not certain, that the majority of the road was downgraded following the construction of the A972 Kingsway in the late 1920s. It appears that the B960 was extended along part of Clepington Road to reach the new road whereas the only other part of B959 remaining was Old Craigie Road, which is explicitly described as such on the OS One Inch map. The remainder of the B959 was deemed surplus to requirements as its route had been replaced by the A972.
In more recent years Old Craigie Road has also been declassified and the number moved. It is now used by the section of Arbroath Road (ex-A92) in the vicinity of Old Craigie Road. It is not known whether the B959 was extended onto this route, or the declassification took place first and so the B959 number was redundant when it was reused.