|From:||Bridge of Don (NJ946096)|
|Distance:||4.4 miles (7.1 km)|
|Meets:||A956, A92, B977|
|Old route now:||B977|
|Route outline (key)|
The B997 is a short B-road in east Aberdeenshire.
The route starts in the Aberdeen suburb of Bridge of Don, just to the north of the river-crossing of the same name, at traffic lights on the A956 about two and a half miles north of the city centre. If first heads west along Balgownie Road then curves north along Scotstown Road to reach a T-junction at which it turns left. The road to the right, North Donside Road, runs back towards the A956.
Our road continues north-westward along Scotstown Road, skirting an industrial estate on the right-hand side before crossing a roundabout junction with the A92. Soon after this, the last of the suburbs are left behind and the road climbs into open country. We cross a small valley and continue through fields before passing sand and gravel pits on the right, just beyond Bishops' Loch, and skirting woodland on the left to arrive at Corsehill, where the road reaches a crossroads on the B977 and ends.
From 1922 until around 1935, the B997 was somewhat longer than it is today. It originally extended for a further three and a half miles west past the north side of Dyce to reach the then B996 between Cothall and Hatton of Fintray. However, when the B977 was extended eastwards from Kintore, the B997 was curtailed to its current length.