|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Bridge of Orchy|
|1752, (c1811), 1932, 2010|
The Old Road
The original Ba Bridge still carries the West Highland Way across the River Ba on the alignment of both the Military Road and Telford's road. It is very difficult to decide whether this bridge was rebuilt by Telford, or if it is the original which Caldfeild must surely have built to cross this significant river. It is unlikely that the river would have been fordable after heavy rain, and there is no evidence of a road surface in the water, Unfortunately, the parapets have been destroyed at some point in the past making dating even more difficult.
The 1930s Bridge
When the new road was built across Rannoch Moor in 1930-2, it was taken to the east of Loch Tulla and so crossed the River Ba almost 4 miles further downstream. This saw a new Ba Bridge constructed, although this was partially demolished in spring 2010 to make way for its replacement. The bridge was the longest (3 spans) of all of the bridges across Rannoch Moor, and it was constructed in 1932.
In line with the new bridges further north in Glencoe, a temporary bailey-type bridge is being used alongside to maintain one-way signal-controlled traffic for the duration of the works. The old deck was demolished, with scaffolding and netting strung up underneath to prevent debris landing in the river. The piers were retained, however, and refurbished before the new deck was constructed on top. The new deck is considerably wider than the old bridge, with pavement provision as well, and with the layby just a few metres away is likely to be a popular stopping point on the A82.