|Location Map ( geo)|
|Nottinghamshire • Yorkshire|
|Crossings related to the A631|
Bawtry Bridge is a bridge crossing the River Idle in North Nottinghamshire. The location of the bridge is just to the east of Bawtry on the A631. The road here is a short, strange stretch of D2 and S4, with the section on the bridge being two lanes eastbound and one lane westbound, at the end of the dual carriageway.
In 1547 Bawtry Bridge, was in great ruin and decay. The chapel of our Lady at Scraftworth was pulled down(!) and used to mend the highway. It was repaired again in 1609 at the cost of the hundreds of Bassetlaw and Newark. It was rebuilt of wood in 1738 at the joint expense of Notts. and Yorkshire. In 1810 it was rebuilt on 144 piles, 15 feet in length, covered with planks, on which rested Roche Abbey stone, and cost £3,000.