|Location Map (
|Looking north along the bridge|
| Location |
| Tateetra, Dundalk |
|Louth County |
| Opening Date |
| 1674, restored c.1920 |
Bellews Bridge is a multiple stone arch bridge over the Castletown river west of Dundalk, County Louth. It was built in 1674 and restored c.1920. In the 17th century the bridge would have formed part of the route from Dundalk to Armagh, this route later used the R177 when this road was built in the 19th century.
A stone plaque on the bridge attributes construction to Sir John Bellew.
It is known locally as the Coffin Bridge, because the parapet was used to rest coffins on when being carried to the Bridge-a-crin Church nearby. It was rumoured to be the spot where James 'Butchy' Kirk's coffin was thrown into the river; however, this is instead documented to be the bridge over the River Fane in Inniskeen (source: http://creggan1.tripod.com/Creggan3d.htm (archive.org)).
Buildings of Ireland
|Crossings of the Castletown River and Tributaries|
|Kilcurry/Forkhill River: ||Forkhill Bridge|