|Location Map ( geo)|
|Transport Scotland • Highland|
Error: Transport Scotland • Highland is not a highway authority
There are no less than 3 bridges, with 4 spans at Berriedale. The two older bridges were constructed by Thomas Telford in 1815 as part of his Caithness Road, and each cross small streams just before their confluence. The two bridges are almost identical, each being of a single arch, without any decoration. The narrow roadways are now protected by bollards, and only used as footpaths, with much of the old road surface now grassed over.
The new bridge opened in 1963, and is a clever solution to a difficult problem. Telford's bridges were sited close to the confluence of the two streams, but there was just enough room left for a pier to be built on the small resultant promontory. The two spans are concrete faced with stone, and are substantially wider than before in order to find good footings for the abutments, and carry the road at a slightly higher level. The road is a full width two lane carriageway with pavements, and the eastern of the two spans is built on a curve to remove the need for a sharp bend.
The clever part of the bridge comes with the central pier, which is wide enough to allow a small access road to drop down to the old road between the two bridges. This gives access to the War Memorial and cottage that sit on this narrow finger of land, and with the old bridges both closed to traffic is the only vehicular access to them.