Bridge of Divie
|Bridge of Divie|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A940|
The Bridge of Divie spans the River Divie on the A940 at Edinkillie. The road drops down on either side, more steeply on the south bank, with the bridge spanning high above the river which has cut a narrow gorge here, since filled with trees. The bridge is a single span stone arch structure built in 1831, and presumably dates the current alignment of the road from Grantown to Forres. In fact, this seems to be the third alignment used, superseding 2 earlier military roads. The bridge carries a narrow 2 way road.
The first crossing of the Divie, dating to the 1760s was nearly a mile down stream of the modern road, near the confluence with the Dorback Burn. There is still evidence of the old road here, and in Autumn 2014 a new footbridge was in the process of construction at the site of the old crossing point. It is not known if there was originally a bridge here, or if the river was forded.
By the 1790s, this road had been replaced with a new road which crossed the river upstream of the modern road. This used the Bridge of Bantrach.