The Bridge of Newe crosses the River Don near Meikle Tolly, and is one of 3 bridges carrying the A944 over the river as they head downstream towards Aberdeen. The bridge was originally built in 1859, with 4 cast iron ribs spanning between stone abutments with small side arches. The ribs then supported brick barrel vaults which carried the roadway. However, while the overall appearance of the bridge remains little changed, the structure is now completely different. In strengthening works carried out in the early 1990s, the whole bridge between the abutments was rebuilt and widened. Two of the original iron arches were refurbished and mounted in front of the new steel work in order to maintain the appearance of the bridge, but they no longer bear any weight.
The refurbishment also saw the abutments and side arches widened, reusing the original stonework, and the delicate iron parapets were re-sited either side of the roadway, complete with the crests at the apex of the bridge. Steel barriers now run along the inside of the narrow pavements, but they dip on each side to allow the crests to be seen in full, whilst still maintaining some rigidity in case of impact.