The bridge at Burrowbridge was originally a three-arch structure, with each arch wide enough for the barges that navigated the river. However, in 1826 the new single-span masonry arch was erected, allowing both larger boats and more frequent travel, as the river here is still tidal and regularly overtopped the banks in winter until recently. The spandrels are also punctured by circular holes to allow flood water to pass more easily.
Traffic lights control the flow
Originally designed as an Iron Bridge, the structure was finally built from Granite, with Limestone voussoirs due to cost. At 21m, it is reputedly the longest masonry bridge in Somerset, but it is certainly not the widest as traffic is one-way, controlled by traffic lights and the northern parapet has been removed to provide a pavement across the river.
The bridge sits less than 300m downstream of the confluence between the Parrett and Tone, the Tone being crossed almost immediately by Stanmoor Bridge.