Droichead na Comhdhála
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Looking north onto the bridge|
|To:||Tara Street Railway Station|
| 1879 (1st bridge)|
1932 (2nd bridge)
|Crossings related to the Dublin Inner Orbital Route|
|Crossings related to the R802|
The Butt Bridge crossing of the River Liffey opened in 1932. It sits in the shadow of the Loopline Bridge (Liffey Bridge), which is an adjacent railway bridge opened in 1891.
It was the first reinforced concrete bridge in Dublin, with a central span of just over 34 metres. It was built at a cost of £65,500 and replaced a narrower 1879 structure. This would have been the most easterly crossing in Dublin, so important for accessing the port.
The bridge carries traffic away from Tara Street on the south side, towards Gardiner Street and Amiens Street on the north side. In 1965 it was suggested that the bridge be widened to D3.
In the early 1970s it was suggested the bridge form part of a one-way system around the Custom House, with the aim of pedestrianising Custom House Quay. The one way system was made possible with the opening of Talbot Memorial Bridge, making Butt Bridge a generous four lanes wide.
The Irish name for the bridge is different to the English name; Butt Bridge (which would translate as Droichead Bhutt) is named after Isaac Butt, who was a leader in the independence movement and died in 1879 - the year the first bridge was built. The Irish name for the bridge, Droichead na Comhdhála, is translated as Congress Bridge - derived from the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, held in Dublin.
Butt Bridge is now part of the anti-clockwise route of the Dublin Inner Orbital Route.