|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Glencoe Ski Centre (NN265526)|
|Distance:||0.8 miles (1.3 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The C1168 runs up from the A82 near the Kingshouse Inn on Rannoch Moor to the Glen Coe Ski Centre. In its current form, it is a modern Single track road with passing places, but it has a long history. The northern end of the road, between the A82 and Black Rock Cottage was originally built by Major Caulfeild as part of the military road across Rannoch Moor. This route was later improved by Thomas Telford under his commission on Highland roads, before being all but abandoned in 1932 when the new, and current A82 route opened.
The ski centre started to develop in the 1950s, and so the new road from Blackrock Cottage up to the car park was constructed, and the older part of the road upgraded to provide access. The junction with the A82 has also been improved over the years, and the line of the old road - which lines up with the abandoned road to the Kingshouse Hotel - is now a gravel parking area, whilst the new junction has been squared up to the main road. Known locally as the Ski Tow Road End, the A82 was widened to the north to provide a central right-turn lane.