This article is about the Class III road numbered C183 maintained by Hertfordshire Council. For other roads numbered C183, see C183.
The C183 is a rural road in eastern Hertfordshire. The road is a renumbering of the former A10 Great Cambridge Road/Ermine Street from Puckeridge to Ware.
The Thomas Clarkson Monument
The road has significant historical importance, as a turnpike and principle route from London to Cambridge, as well as the Old North Road via Royston and Huntingdon. Between Wadesmill and High Cross there is a statue to Thomas Clarkson (1760-1846), who paused his journey from Cambridge to London in 1785 and decided to persue the objective of the abolition of slavery becoming one of the country's greatest abolitionists.
The character of the road is generally wide and rural in nature, passing through the villages of Thundridge, Wadesmill, High Cross, and Colliers End.
The number came into existance when this section of the A10 was downgraded and de-trunked following of the opening of the Wademill Bypass on 8th October 2004.