|Location Map ( geo)|
Cawood Bridge is an iron swing bridge built to replace a ferry crossing. It spans the River Ouse to the east of Cawood village. Owing to the narrowness of the bridge, and a weight limit, the road width is limited to only one lane along the bridge deck, controlled by traffic lights at each end.
The bridge was built by the Cawood Bridge Company at a cost of £10,000, and tolls were charged to defray the cost. It was purchased in 1883 by the West and East Ridings and the tolls abolished. The bridge suffers from a number of problems due to its age, but mainly due to overweight vehicles using it and causing damage. CCTV is in operation so that North Yorks County Council can fine those using vehicles over the 7.5t limit.