|Location Map ( geo)|
| 1410 (1st Bridge)|
1785 (2nd Bridge)
The current bridge is only the second bridge to have been built at this site in 600 years. The first, a straightforward wooden construction, was given the go-ahead in 1410 and completed three years later. However, by 1780, the need for a new bridge was desperate and another one was constructed 70 yards upstream between 1782 and 1784. Opened a year later, the current stone arch bridge is still going strong after over 220 years of use. Nowadays, it carries one of Britain's busiest B roads, the B375, and has an AADT of about 35,000.
In addition, the M3 now also crosses the river 500 yards north of the original bridge. Built in the early 1970s, it was first used in 1974, when the Sunbury - Bracknell section opened.