|Location Map ( geo)|
|The junction in 2008.|
|Highways England • Transport for London|
|M4, A4, A205, A315, A406|
|Junctions related to the A315|
Chiswick Roundabout (junction 1 of the M4) is one of the oldest motorway junctions in Britain, opening in 1959. This was some years before the rest of the M4 was built. It is made up of the Chiswick Roundabout and the Chiswick Flyover.
This flyover is clad with brickwork and on the westbound side it easy to see where they built over the original section. Today it is more notable as the Western meeting point of the North & South Circular Roads therefore it is a very busy junction.
Guunersbury Lane (now Gunnersbury Avenue) originally met Chiswick High Road at a T Junction known as Gunnersbury Place. The Great West Road to the west of here was built as a single carriageway in the 1920s; it was soon dualled. A bank, and industrial buildings such as the motor works, were attracted to the junction.
A large housing estate was developed on the south side of the junction. Some of this had to be demolished to build the east end of the Great West Road, and the new Chiswick Flyover. Just four houses from Surrey Crescent survive; they are now next to the eastbound onslip. The bank did survive but was later demolished anyway.
|The WEST, Heathrow Airport, Staines, Hounslow||access only from A4 from Central London - otherwise via A4|
|The WEST, Heathrow Airport, Staines, Hounslow, (M4)||meets M4 at junction 2|
|Central London, Hammersmith|
|S Circular, (A316) (M3) (A3), Richmond, Kew, Brentford (A315)|
|N Circular, (A40) (M1), Wembley, Ealing|
|Chiswick, Chiswick Town Hall|