|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A939|
Colnabaichin Bridge crosses the River Don on the A939 near its junction with the A944. It is a comparatively new single span concrete structure which replaces an older bridge on the same site. The crossing of the Don in this area dates back at least to the 1750s when Caulfeild built the military roads around Corgarff. At that time, the road forded the river with the site probably a little further downstream.
Immediately to the north of the bridge, the A939 TOTSOs at the eastern end of the A944, the mainline being the A944 leading into the A939 north over the Lecht to Tomintoul and Grantown. The junction is a simple give-way T junction, with a modern AA emergency phone sited in a layby a metre or two up the A944.
When the roads were first classified in 1922, the route now taken by the A939 was the B970, and the A944 route was the B973. The A939 was extended south through this junction in the 1930s, but it was only in the 1980s that the A944 was extended east to here.
|Strathdon, Alford, Huntly (A97)|