Carragh nan Comando
The Commando Memorial is on the A82 at its junction with the B8004. It is dedicated to the men of the original British Commando Forces raised during World War II. Situated around a mile from Spean Bridge village, it overlooks the training areas of the Commando Training Depot established in 1942 at Achnacarry Castle. Unveiled in 1952 by the Queen Mother, it has become one of Scotland's best-known monuments, both as a war memorial and as a tourist attraction offering views of Ben Nevis and Aonach Mòr.
The junction now sits a little to the north of the memorial, and is a spacious T junction with turning lanes to accommodate the large amount of traffic, especially tourist coaches through the summer. The entrance to the large car park is a short distance along the B8004, which drops to single track a little beyond the car park exit. The junction was reprofiled many years ago to provide this large parking area. The old junction was immediately to the south of the memorial, and the old road remains below the car park bank as part of the footpath down to Spean Bridge, although it is closed to traffic.
|Inbhir Nis / Inverness|
|Drochaid Aonachain / Spean Bridge, An Gearasdan / Fort William|
|Gèarr Lòchaid / Gairlochy|