|Location Map ( geo)|
|Junctions related to the B3139|
Today the Cornhill Junction in Highbridge is a busy 4-way mini roundabout on the A38. In the past, it was a very busy junction on the main artery to the south west from Bristol and the north. Summer Saturdays in the 1960s saw Highbridge come to a complete standstill as holidaymakers headed to the south west coast for their holidays. The problems were magnified by the close proximity of the level crossing with the Somerset & Dorset line to Burnham-on-Sea, which whilst regular passenger services had been withdrawn, remained open for the excursion trade - predominantly on summer Saturdays! This level crossing was sited just a little to the north on the A38, alongside Newtown Road.
However, with the arrival of the M5 in the 1970s, Highbridge was able to return to the peace and quiet it had experienced in the first half of the 20th century. Of course it is now much busier once more, with the town growing and the roads getting ever busier. The fourth arm of he roundabout, Tyler Way,was opened in the 1990s to give access to the new housing developments scheduled for the old market site. However due to a number of factors, only a small area of housing was built, and the market is yet to move.
The Cornhill Clock
Cornhill is perhaps most famous for the historic 3-sided clock. This once stood in the centre of the junction, with one face pointing each way on the A38, and the third facing down Market Street, the B3139. It was originally erected to celebrate Queen Victorias Jubilee in 1897, but in 1964 it was demolished by a lorry. The replacement was erected later the same year, and subsequently moved twice to become the centrepiece of the Jubilee Garden in 1977. This was sited alongside the junction, but was remodelled in the 1990s when the junction was enlarged with the creation of Tyler Way, heading north west.